Thursday, December 26, 2013

Autumn.

A while ago, I shared some of our goals for fall.

1. Finish sanding & staining our dining room table.
2. Get a fall CSA.
3. Take a trip to Columbus & hit the OH & IN highpoints.
4. Take a trip to the Smokey Mountains.
5. Go camping.
6. Visit & hike Devil's lake.
7. Learn how to make pesto, gluten free bread, and falafel. (Let's be real, this goal is for me. Kyle volunteered to help eat it all, though, so I guess that counts as his participation.)
8. Apply to the Peace Corps (!!!)
9. Go canoeing on the Milwaukee river.
10. Learn how to make a good cup of French pressed coffee.
 

Well, autumn is over now and winter has settled in, blanketing the world in a thick layer of snow.


We worked quite hard to accomplish our goals this fall - it was a busy season! We nearly accomplished them all!

1. Finish sanding & staining the table. Well, this one was a bit of a failure honestly. We did accomplish the goal, but we used an old stain and it did not turn out well at all! We're calling it our practice run -- so if anyone has an old table they are looking to get rid of, let us know - we really want to try again and hopefully succeed this time!

2. Get a fall CSA. We did this! We got a 6-week late fall/early winter CSA and our fridge has been bursting with root vegetables and kale for weeks!

3. Take a trip to Columbus & hit the OH & IN highpoints. We did this. Here's proof. and more proof.

4. Take a trip to the Smokey Mountains. We decided to switch this one up and take a trip to the south instead. We visited three highpoints: Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi. We enjoyed the trip and also learned that the south is not for us!

5. Go camping. Done.

6. Visit & hike Devil's lake. Done!



It was soooo beautiful!

7. Learn how to make pesto, gluten free bread, and falafel. (Let's be real, this goal is for me. Kyle volunteered to help eat it all, though, so I guess that counts as his participation.) Pesto, check. GF bread, check. Falafel... I'm still nervous to try this on my own, so if someone wants to teach me or try to learn with me, holla at me!

8. Apply to the Peace Corps (!!!) DONE. AHH.

9. Go canoeing on the Milwaukee river. We were sososo close to getting this one. We made plans with some friends who own their own canoe to go one Saturday in October. Unfortunately, when we called the Urban Ecology Center to rent one we were two days too late & they had already stopped renting them out. We DID however, learn to play disc golf (Kyle already knew, but I had never played) instead, so I think that counts as an equally exciting first experience.



10. Learn how to make a good cup of French pressed coffee. This is done and I'm so happy about it!

Coming soon: Winter Goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glacier Bay National Park, 2016

If you'd asked me 5 years ago if I wanted to go to Alaska, I would have said "No way." But here I sit, just back from our...