Wednesday, January 30, 2013

the first night.

You know, I never actually told Kyle that I liked him.

After months - years, really - of friendship, I asked him to take a walk with me one September night a few days before my birthday. I was nervous as we walked in the chilly fall air through the streets near my old house. "I just need to know." I said, "I just need to know if you like me, because you act like you do, but you say you don't, and it's confusing." He said that no, he didn't like me as more than a friend and he hoped that it wouldn't change our friendship. I lied and said that was fine, that we could just be friends and we could go back to normal. But I specified that he must be very careful about the messages he was sending me because he had been sending signals contrary to his claims. He agreed, and dropped me off at home.

One week later, I knew something had changed. Suddenly, he let his lips come close to my ear when he whispered something to me at a concert; he sent me text messages nearly every night; he sat closer to me - close enough that his leg was touching mine - while we watched a movie; he sent me a music video of an artist we wanted to go see, and peculiarly chose a love song. Then came the night I will always remember.

He walked me home; it was early October. As we walked the few short blocks from his house to mine, I talked the whole way and he responded with the "yeah"s and the "mhmm"s that I now know mean he isn't listening to me but is thinking of something else. When we got to my house, he stopped and turned towards me. I could tell he was nervous as he shifted back and forth with his hands in his pockets. Then came the words I will never forget: "Leilah, I've been doing a lot of thinking these past few days and I realized that I have feelings for you too." I was taken aback and awkwardly gave an "Oh!" in response. "So what does this mean?" I asked. "I don't know," he answered, "but let's just take it slow and see what happens." He hugged me and said, "Well, I'll see you tomorrow!" and walked down the street.

I turned and walked up the front steps but fumbled with my keys and couldn't find the right one. I watched him walk away, wondering if what had just happened had really happened. My heart was pounding as I finally found the key to the door and went inside. I had no idea that that night was the beginning of something much bigger than I could have imagined. What began as "Let's take it slow" has evolved into "Let's do this forever."

You know, the funny thing is that I knew he liked me for months before he knew he liked me. I just had a feeling that something was going to work out. He had no idea. I guess he just needed a little push in the right direction. ;)

1 comment:

  1. if blogspot had a like button, i would click it.

    ReplyDelete

Glacier Bay National Park, 2016

If you'd asked me 5 years ago if I wanted to go to Alaska, I would have said "No way." But here I sit, just back from our...